Sharing the jobs

As there are now a couple of people who are keen to do some work in the Community Garden but are each able to work on different days only, there is now a new system.

On the Wednesday morning when I am down there to do a few little jobs, I also assess what jobs need to be done during the coming week. I write these jobs up on the blackboard at the front of the garden, and anyone who is there to do some work through the week can choose to do those jobs.

This system may stay in place even when we begin regular working bees, depending on what the Community wants.

By this method a job got done on a day that I was not able to be there; Shaun and Rachel pulled up the rest of the old, dead Fat Hen plants. But because they ran out of daylight they were not able to complete the job of using the pulled plants to cover the soil where they had been removed from, and instead made a pile of them just near that area.

The pile of old Fat Hen plants.

When I returned to the garden on the following Wednesday, this gave me the idea to leave that pile – which has quite a bit of soil still adhering to the roots – to settle down with the help of some stomping on. Then in spring we will add a bag of sheep manure and perhaps a bit more soil, and then plant some pumpkins on top of that mound.

I used some old straw from the Showground sheep pens – which the caretaker from the showgrounds always dumps at the garden for us – to cover the bare soil where the Fat Hen had been removed.

Heaps of the straw to be spread.

The straw all spread out over the bare soil.

Sometimes things in the garden do not always go to plan; and I find that the different outcome always suggests another positive thing that can be done. It is one of the things I like about gardening, it is a bit like being on an adventure where you are never sure what will happen next.

The next job we will focus on is pulling up the grasses which are beginning to take hold in the main growing beds, particularly in the brassicas bed where there is now some open space where about half of the cabbages have been harvested. By spring we will have quite a large area, being the whole strip between the two rows of trellis, ready to be planted up with lots of different vegetables.

Where some cabbages have been harvested.

The next strip, which has been covered with woodchip mulch for a number of years now, we will most likely plant a green manure crop, and we may also do a narrow strip of bee-and-other-insect attracting plants along the length of that area.

I am immensely happy that people from the Community are beginning to engage with the Uralla Community Garden. 🙂