The First Spring Blossoms

The First Spring Blossoms.

When I arrived at the Garden for the working bee last Sunday the 28th of August, it was very pleasing to see that there had been no further damage to the fruit trees, and that the ones we had rescued were doing ok; in fact, two of them were already in blossom.

Interestingly, the trees that we had cut off and left on the ground – because they had been completely ringbarked – had now been completely de-barked by the rabbits. So, even though they still seemed to have a taste for the bark, they had not done any further damage to the ones that we had put some protection on.

It was a quiet day, and as all the other volunteers had other things to do on this day, I was again by myself; and just focused on doing something I enjoy the most – planting and doing experiments.

I planted some snow-peas, varying the method and additives I used in separate sections. I planted one section as a control, adding nothing to the soil other than the seeds. Then I planted one section with some well-aged sheep manure added well below the seeds. The next section I planted with no sheep manure, but with some worm castings sprinkled on top of the soil, and the last section I added both the sheep manure AND the worm castings. It will be interesting to see what – if any – variation in emergence and health of the plants in the different sections there may be.

I will record the results in a future post here, when the plants emerge and grow.

I only had enough seeds to plant along half of the trellis; so next working bee I will bring some more seeds and plant out the rest of the row.

The native shrubs are now over two years old, and are getting quite big; one is already at shoulder-height.